Sunday, June 5, 2011

I love D.C.

Yesterday, I ventured into D.C. for my monthly pilgrimage, although it's easily been two months or better since my last trip. It was a tad warm, and I'm dealing with some leg pain from a previous run, but I made the most of the trip.

My sole purpose for going into the city was to visit the Eastern Market and see all the fruits and vegetables I've heard so much about. Things I learned while walking through the vendors...

Inside the Eastern Market building

1. It's a REALLY good thing I don't live in D.C. Not only are housing costs outrageous, but if I had access to the Eastern Market on a daily basis, my bank account would implode. Prices weren't crazy, but the selection was wonderful!

Tables and tables of fresh produce lined the streets.

2. I really like pecans. Especially when roasted, and covered in sugar and other spices. I remember eating them when I was a kid, and not thinking much of them - I've always been a peanut and cashews kid, but apparently, I like pecans, too. Still not crazy about almonds, though...

3. I really, REALLY want to go to culinary school to learn how to use all of the wonderful fresh items I saw at the at the market. Wow... cravings come in many different sizes and colors...

More to follow, I'm sure...