Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Trip Home

Some updates. The Thursday after my last post, the wife and I talked briefly. She seems interested in making it work, although I have yet to truly see the fruits of that labor. We'll see. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, since I am currently 700 miles away. Next week will be the "truth or dare" time.

As I said, I am in Michigan, visiting with my parents. It's been a wonderful trip so far - very relaxing, very calming, almost a tad boring! Dad and I went fishing out on the Saginaw Bay on Tuesday. What a great day! There wasn't a cloud in the sky, a nice breeze, waves weren't too bad, and the walleye seemed only to be biting our lines! We caught easily more than a dozen fish - 5 each is the limit. I caught a catfish and threw it back - neither of us were interested in taking the time to clean and cook it properly. And I caught a VERY nice walleye that measured 27 1/2" and 6 pounds 5 ounces. We took a pic or two and set it free - fish that big don't taste as good as the smaller "high teens" fish. But what a day. All that fish got me to thinking of good recipes for cooking. Of course, dad cooked the fish today - slightly over-grilled, but with a nice Rosemary seasoning and a bit of Mrs. Dash, I think. Fantastic feast.

I haven't worked up the nerve to let them know I want to go back to school. Not sure how to bring it up, and not sure how it would go over. We'll see. It might be better to wait until I get home and just talk on the phone about it. Dang, I'm a chicken, aren't I?!?

I've been re-researching all of my lost recipes, files, etc. Mostly I've been going to the internet for the ones I knew came from there. I still have a good 20 or 30 recipes that need to be re-typed. I'm not really looking forward to that part of it. Maybe I won't re-type. Maybe I'll just type an "Index Sheet" that lists the recipe and the source, and just keep all the mags around like cookbooks. It could work. A xerox might work, too, though. We'll see. More to follow...