Monday, July 21, 2008

8" Chef's knife

Up until very recently, my 8" Chef's knife had not served its true purpose. It had been used as a butcher's knife once or twice, but otherwise, it just sat on the counter in the knife block looking nice. That changed this weekend. I cooked and prepared a whole feast of food this weekend...steak marinated in a peppercorn sauce, chicken breasts marinated in a southwestern sauce, fresh green beans, corn on the cob, potatoes quartered and sautéed with olive oil and some Mrs. Dash seasoning, leafy greens salad, and fresh fruit salad. The fruit was the most labor intensive, especially with regards to cutting. At first, the large knife felt cumbersome and awkward. I'm not sure it ever lost those traits, I just got used to it. But I know I had no real speed to cutting, and no uniformity. Something to work on, I think. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to hold the knife, either. I've tried a few different hand holds, but none of them feel better than another. Ultimately, I know it is just a matter of practicing with it, getting used to it, and making it do what I want it to do. Practice makes perfect, and thankfully, practicing is fun and tasty!