Monday, January 31, 2011

Week 3 - Monday (Failure #2 - Time to Regroup)

(1/31/11) - 17:10
(Station Treadmill)
Plan:
10 min run / 2 min walk (x4)
Actual:
10 min warm up 10 min run / 2 min walk / 5 min run 8 min cool down

So I ended up taking most of last week off. Bad mistake. My leg hurt. It wasn't convenient. I had other things to do. A snow storm hit. Yadda yadda yadda. And when you have nobody to hold you accountable, and nobody but me to enforce anything, it's real easy to just say "tomorrow."

Tonight's run was dismal. I warmed up extra long, again. Felt ok. Tried to keep it loose and slow. The first 10 minutes wasn't too bad, but I could feel the beginning of some pain. Walked for the 2 minutes, and started running again, and almost immediately felt tight. And nothing I did would relieve it. The pain just got worse and worse, and since my heart wasn't in it, I walked for a bit and called it quits. Failure #2.

I got home and did my first ice bath - who the HECK thought of an insane idea like that?!? Oh my LORD. The first 2 minutes were the worst torture of my life... but it gradually got better, as I numbed up. Afterwards, I felt better almost immediately - although now, two hours later, I can still feel some of the soreness. Hopefully, tomorrow isn't too bad though.

So I think I need to regroup. I am going to continue running, and I am going to try my hardest to maintain a more consistent schedule with it. The next time I run, I'm going to set the interval timer for a 5 / 1 interval, and just let it go... perhaps the 10 minutes is what is hurting me. I'll work my way back up from there, and see if what I need is a stronger base. I'm also going to start stretching and strengthening on my off days. Stronger muscles don't tire as easily.

For now, I'm enjoying my last fast food for a while - topped off with a Wendy's Frosty. Yum.