Thursday, January 27, 2011

Health, Food, and Companionship

I’ve been listening to a lot of new podcasts lately. A coworker, who is an avid runner, gave me a short list of running podcasts, and I’ve been working my way through some of them…and one thing has become very apparent to me – running MUST be more enjoyable when you run with someone. All of these podcasts are two or more people, running together, or training together, etc. And they all seem like they’re having a great time. They’re laughing and telling stories and just having a great time. But I run solo. On a treadmill. And I hate it. But at my current level of conditioning, I don’t know anyone who is going to “walk” with me… I’m not real certain how to overcome this one.

I’ve also decided that I am going to start eating healthier. So, Food Goal #1 – No fast food for February. EEK!! A little worried about that one, since fast food is so convenient when I am busy. But, I know it’s not good for me, and avoiding it will help me to lose some weight (which will help my running…) so let’s see how I do. It also means I need to start shopping more regularly for groceries. Right now, I’m not sure I have anything healthy to eat in my apartment… good thing it’s almost the weekend.

I’m a little worried about tonight’s training session. It’s supposed to be another 10 min run / 2 min walk (x4) which was so painful on Tuesday. My legs still feel a bit sore, and I’ve been trying to stretch out my calves more, but let’s face it – the world wasn’t created in two days. So we’ll see how it goes…