Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week 2 - Tuesday (Failure #1)

(1/25/11) - 17:45
(Station Treadmill)
Plan:
10 min run / 2 min walk (x4)
Actual:
10 min warm up 10 min run / 2 min walk / 5 min run 8 min cool down

I started the workout feeling a little tight… so I warmed up a little longer than normal. I started off feeling ok, concentrating on my form focuses. The first 10 minutes felt ok, but I could still sense my legs weren’t relaxing. After the initial two minute walk, I wasn’t as rested as I normally feel after a walk break, but was hoping it would work itself out. Nope. Five minutes into my next run, I had such severe pain in my shins that I had to walk. I walked for a good five minutes more, and felt the pain go way down, so I tried to run again. Nope. Thirty seconds later, I was almost in tears. So I walked for about ten minutes and called it quits. Failure #1.

I know I need to start doing more stretches and strength training on my off days. I looked up a few exercised on the Runner’s World website… so we’ll see if that helps. But my motivation and, more importantly, my confidence in this endeavor has been shattered. I am having some serious doubts as to whether I will be able to run 10K in 9 weeks, when I can’t run more than ten minutes at a time…