Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Friday Ramblings

Ok, so I know it's Wednesday - but it's *MY* Friday... I have the next two days off, to go on a motorcycle trip for the weekend.  Looking forward to it, although I think my liver is already in pain...

Yesterday, as I was cutting through town to get to Borders, I passed a bright yellow pickup truck.  Low and behold, guess what I saw on the back bumper?  A CIA - Hyde Park parking pass!  Small world, huh?  As I passed, I saw that the driver was a "kid", at least by my reckoning.  Probably a current student, on summer break.  Weird when you think about how many people are surrounding you that you know nothing about...

When I got to Borders, it was quite the depressing scene.  Everyone was jolly, not even staff members seemed upset.  But to me, it was the end of a great thing.  If it hadn't been for Borders, I don't know how I would've gotten through school.  Near my college, there was a store open 24/7, which provided students a place for late night study sessions and research opportunities when the libraries all closed.  I hate to see what comes next, too, especially since I am not thrilled about all of the e-readers.  Will our children even know what it feels like to hold a book, to smell the paper and ink, to see the colorful pictures?  Or will they only know black and white text on a computer screen, devoid of a soul?  Sad... so very sad.

Source:  http://orlandpark.patch.com/articles/photos-massive-lines-form-during-borders-liquidation-sale#photo-7134262

Later last night, reading through some blogs, I found one that put another frown on my mood... Marcus Samuelsson did a nice article entitled "The Oncoming Decline of Culinary Schools" in which he opened my eyes to the perils of going to culinary school.  I had no idea it was that "bad" out there?  How do chefs make a living?!  But it really put a damper on my mood, and on my dreams of going to the CIA.  If I can't make a comfortable living doing what I love, then obviously, I should find something else to do, whether I love it or not.  Ultimately, if I can't afford to LIVE while away from work, then what's the point of being happy at your job?  Just depressing to think about it...

 Due to my trip this weekend, I refused to grocery shop last weekend, and haven't really cooked anything in a while.  Honestly, I've worked so many extra shifts at the station that I don't think I've been home at meal time in more than a week!  Hopefully, next week things will settle down and I will be able to get back to cooking.  I have a ton of recipes I want to try out, adapt and play with.

But since I am disconnecting from the digital world for a few days, have a good weekend!