Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Treadmill vs the Road

I went for a run on Saturday... nothing too strenuous, just a 3-miler, using the toys trying to maintain a pace of 170, while watching my heart rate. I set the interval timer for 5 minutes run / 1 minute walk and turned on the metronome...

First off, I am not in good enough shape to run 170 steps a minute for 5 minutes straight without maxing out my heart rate (which I am trying to avoid...) I backed the interval timer back to 2 minutes running and continued on... but by the end of the run, I was almost at reversed intervals - 1 minute of running to 2-3 minutes walking. My ankles and shins hurt, my lungs felt horrible, and my motivation fell through one of the sewer grates.

That's when I started thinking of the differences between the treadmill and the road. When I ran on the 'mill, it didn't seem to hurt as much. My guess is because it's a softer surface... ? I know I like the "open air" and changing scenery of running outside, but I am starting to think I need to find someplace much softer to run than the roads...

I am also starting to think my form is effecting my pain levels. I must not have the Chi Running form right. I guess I will have to re-read some of the book and watch the DVD again. This morning, I sent an email to a local Chi Running trainer asking for his advice... there's a one-day course in March - the day after my 10K. So I may sign up for a private lesson... perhaps having his trained feedback will get me to where I need to be. I've also started to scour the used listings for a 'mill of my own... the station just isn't an option for me these days.

I leave for my parent's house in two days, so my running may taper more (which means it will be non-existent...)