Friday, December 17, 2010

Play time

Last night, I was at the ambulance station for my duty shift, and decided to use the treadmill for a bit, to play with the new toys and to test out my ankle.

First off, that metronome is annoying! And I didn't know my legs could move that fast, either... not that I was covering a lot of ground, but still. The interval timer was nice, and was very easy to keep up with. The 'nome is going to take some time to get used to, I think, especially since I normally take a longer, slower stride. Both of the electronics were easy to use, quick to understand, and I can immediately see the future benefit of using them. Excellent...

My ankle fared quite well. I had no pain or discomfort during the run, and only minor stiffness this morning. Granted, I only ran about 2 miles... and with the quick pace, my stride was REAl short - especially for a tall guy like me. I did have a bit of shin discomfort, but in talking with one of the career EMTs at the station (who happens to have a degree in physical therapy...) it is most likely caused by tight calf muscles. She gave me a few exercise/stretches to do to help relax that.

For the first time in a long while, I finished my quick routine feeling excited and optimistic about running.