Thursday, September 29, 2011

For Kelly


I apologize for being away so long.  Life has gotten in the way, and I've had no time to write.

First, my grandmother was hospitalized last week.  Back pain, chest pain, and overall pain.  In the end, she'll be fine - but she's been in and out of the hospital for the last eight days now, and it's very draining... and as the only medically trained person in the family, I get all of the medical questions - what's this drug do, what are the side effects, how should she do this, etc. etc. etc.  One word.  OYE.

THEN, to make things in life even more chaotic and depressing, my best friend, Kelly, shipped off to the U.S. Air Force on Monday.  So the weekend was spent hanging out with her, talking, and helping her pack and throw away things because her family isn't all that great and would just toss it all without her.  Needless to say, Monday was not a happy day...

It's been an odd week, actually.  Not too many of my real friends know that Kelly and I are as close as we are.  So while I am feeling extremely lonely and abandoned, I can't just go up to someone else and start talking about it.  I would get strange(er) looks, questions I don't want to answer, and honestly, it's none of their business - just accept that she liked me more.  Or at least I like to think so.

But as lonely as I might be feeling now, I also have this immense sense of pride in her, too.  Kelly is bravely doing what so few are willing to do anymore - she is dedicating the next few years of her life to protecting our government, our safety, and our freedom.  She is making a sacrifice for all of us, even though most Americans don't have the slightest sense of patriotism anymore.  It's all about the personal benefit.  But not Kelly.  She's something special.

So to honor her, here are a few of my favorite pictures of her...



  
This is actually a very "typical" Kelly pose! haha

Thank you, Kelly, and to all of our service men and women.  I am proud to call you a friend, and cannot wait to see you again!  God bless, be safe, and know that we all love you.