Thursday, August 7, 2008

I love pasta...

What is it about pasta that I love so much? It's not a friendly food. It sticks to the plate. It slips off the fork. It lashes you in the face and then whips sauce across the table. There's little taste - just the starchy wonderfulness that is pasta.

Now, it does come in playful shapes and sizes. It even comes in cool colors - brown, green and red! It's easy to cook (I've been doing it since I was 8). It's tough to get wrong, although there are "better than other" moments. You can eat it alone, with sauce, with meat, with gravy, with butter, with whatever you have laying around. (I once ate a bowl of pasta with olive oil and chopped chives...the only two things I had left prior to moving. And it was wonderful...) And I've never met anyone that downright hated pasta.
I do wonder why we add salt to the pot of water. It just makes the water boil over. Does it add flavor that I can't taste? I am nearly immune to salt, though - the product of my parents letting me put salt on my food myself. Imagine heaping sand dunes of salt atop my steak. Thankfully, I have grown out of that stage...although, I'm sure the damage to my arteries has already been done.

These are the thoughts that go through my mind when I'm waiting for food to cook and have nothing else to do...aren't you glad you joined me today? hehe